Saturday, July 30, 2011

Chapters 4-7 - The Grapes of Wrath

As chapter four of The Grapes of Wrath started, I was not to thrilled about reading it, due to the fact that the first three chapters were very boring and it seemed like the chapter just dragged along.  However, the next few chapter get a little more interesting, therefore, making it easier to read which I enjoyed reading these next three chapters of the book.
Although the book does get more exciting and adventurous, I find a couple things disturbed about different people in the book.  "Oh, no, you wouldn't remember.  You was always too busy pulliin' little girls' pigtails when I give you the Holy Sperit.  You was all wropped up in yankin' that pigtail out by the roots.  You maybe don't recollect, but I do.  The two of you come to Jesus at once 'cause of that pigtail yankin'.  Baptizzed both of you in the irrigation ditch at once.  Rightin' an' yellin' like a couple a cats."  When I read this, I kind of understood why Tom was like this, he is a young adult, but still it sounds like he was obsessed with girls.  Not only does the book talk about them when he was young but also when he was in prison.  He says that when he was in prison, he craved them and had a hard time living without them.  This scares me because it sounds like he is an offender to me.  I know he is not, or least so far he is not, but it just scares me when people talk like that.  The other thing that I found harsh in this chapter was the fact that bank owners drive the farmers off their land.  I know that the land is shared, but I do not think that you should be allowed to kick somebody out of their homes and destroy their house.  Also, how the people ripped everybody off into buying their cars.  They made them so they would work for a little while and then be no good.  The people are not getting on to my good side so far, but the story is progressing.

Bibliography


Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment