Monday, September 5, 2011

Puritans vs. Mayflower

So as I started to get going on the new story we had to read.  I recognized the title and remembered that I had read this story before.  It may not have been the exact story, but I remember reading this story at my old school, which helps me a little bit because at least I have a background of what is going on in the story.
This story is about the pilgrims, who wanted to separate from the Church of England.  At first I thought that they were the exact opposite of the puritans who wanted to purify the church.  Then I thought that to purify the Church of England, the puritans would have to separate from the church.  So I believe that these two groups were in common beliefs.
Last class we talked about the Providence of God (to provide), and I noticed that in this story they mentioned the Providence of God.  "...they resolved to bear up again for the Cape and thought themselves happy to get out of those dangers before night overtook them, as by God's good Providence they did." (Bradford 65).  We really went into detail about how Go provided so much for Mary Rowlandson, and now we begin to see the same things in this story.  I do not know much about sailing, but when there is a storm, the last place you want to be is in the ocean, and the pilgrims got out of it due to God's providence.  With this blessing that God gave them, they quickly began to thanks him.  "Being thus arrived in a good harbor, and brought safe to land, they fell upon their knees and blessed the God of Heaven who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean, and delivered them from all the perils and miseries thereof, again to set their feet on the firm and stable earth, their proper element." (Bradford 65).
When the Indians and Pilgrims began to meet each other they began to grow a close bond.  They were grateful for one another, and they made rules for each other (Bradford, 67). There were six rules, but it made me think of the ten commandments.  Even though the Indians and the pilgrims made six "commandments", and God had ten commandments, I believe that this is a reference from the Bible, in putting down guidelines to what you can and can not do.  One of the commandments that was similar to the rules, was do not steal.  That is how it is said in the Bible, but in the rules it is said that if anything is taken that it shall be restored.  The other one that I found is do not covet your neibors valuables.  In the story it is a little different, but I believe that the same meaning is implied.
One last thing that reminded me of the Puritans writing was that the story was similar to a journal.  It was like this in the last story, but it had headings as to what was going on which is very similar to how a journal would be.

Bradford, William. "from of Plymouth Plantation". Comp. Jeffrey D. Wilhelm, Ph.D. and Douglas Fisher, Ph.D. Glencoe Literature. American Literature ed. Columbus: McGraw-Hill Companies, 2009. 64-67. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment