Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Why we still read - The Grapes of Wrath

As I read the book The Grapes of Wrath, I was wondering why do we still read this book today?  When I was done with the previous book, The Old Man and The Sea, I knew why we still read the book.  It helped that I really enjoyed reading the book, but this book has to have a reason that it is still read.  I believe that reason is that the general message of the book was a very good one.  It teaches us to relish what we have and to not dwell on what we do not have.  The book really does a very good job about sending the message to this time period.  Nowadays people are so consumed with what they do not have instead of what they do have.  In this book, the farmers who are on the move have to get rid of everything they own, therefore leaving them nothing.  "Harness, carts, seeders, little bundles of hoes.  Bring 'em out.  Pile 'em up.  Load 'em in the wagon.  Take 'em to town.  Sell 'em for what you can get.  Sell the team and the wagon, too.  No more use for anything." (Steinbeck, 87).  Even though they had to get rid of their belongings, they never seemed to dwell on what they lost or what they did not have.  Also, the characters show a lot of good progress throughout the book.  At the beginning, Tom is portrayed as a bit of an intimidating character, but as the book progresses, he becomes a very productive and sympathetic man.  Rose of Sharon was really a good for nothing character throughout the book.  She was clueless it seemed like for most of the book and she really cared for nobody but herself.  At the end, she develops into a caring young women, who shows her sympathy by saving a mans live.  I believe we still read this book, because of the message that is there for us to find.  It show us to be thankful for what we have.

Bibliography


Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment