Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chapters 22-24 - The Grapes of Wrath

For the past few chapters, everything was going wrong for the Joad family.  They have no food, not much money, people are dying and bailing on the family, and most importantly they have found no work, which is what they set out to find when they left Oklahoma.  As luck can change drastically in a matter of seconds in life, the Joads find a camp where they will be able to find work, and thankfully Tom does find a job that he will be able to make money.  When I read that the farmers association was going to have a riot, I was worried for the Joads.  They have been searching for what seems like years, and now what is going to happen is that their camp will be taken down by riots.  When a riot is about to be started, Tom steps in and shuts it down.  The men were on the "good" side also.  They betrayed the camp because they got paid a large amount of money.  It is sad to see people do this.  I would never betray anything that I stand for just so I can get paid a little more.
Something else caught my attention.  What do the women do during they day?  They are not working, so how do they pass the time?  "The migrant people, scuttling for work, scrabbling to live, looked always for pleasure, dug for pleasure, manufactured pleaure, and they were hungry for amusement.  Sometimes amusement lay in speech, and they climbed up their lives with jokes..." (Steinbeck, 325).  Their world that they live in does not have television, gaming systems, or air conditioning.  They had to of gotten pretty bored sitting out their for days and days.  Sure you could talk, but pretty soon that will get boring, and it is probably pretty hot, making life a lot more miserable.  I am glad that I do not have to do what they had to.  I bet kids and women were pretty bored during the long, hot days.

Bibliography


Steinbeck, John. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment