Saturday, August 20, 2011

My Opinion - The Catcher in the Rye

Well, all in all I thought that this was a descent book.  In my opinion, there was nothing that made it stand out against all the other books that I have read, but it really was not that bad of a read.  I liked that even though it was a pretty good sized book, the writing was also pretty good sized which made it a lot easier to read.  It did not take me too long to read, and although there was really nothing that made me want to keep reading it, I did not have to fear picking up the book and read a chapter.  I think that this book is directed more towards the male audience, rather than females, because it was a story of what a guy goes through during his highschool and teen years.  Like the technique I said, I liked that it was in first person, I think that it made the book easier and more enjoyable to read.  "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied..." (Salinger, 3).  The quote goes on longer than I thought, but from the beginning, you felt like the book was talking to you, and it made you interested in the book.  I guess since I have read all three books now, I would put The Old Man and The Sea first, The Catcher in the Rye second, and The Grapes of Wrath third.  It can not go ahead of The Old Man and The Sea because I thought that was a great book.  However, I believe that this book was way better than The Grapes of Wrath.  It was an easier read and was just an all out better book.  One thing I would like to see, was how Holden ended up in the mental facility or whatever he was in.  That was something that I would have liked to know.

Bibliography

Salinger, J. D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 1951. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment